[HNW] crochet

Joan Jurancich joanmj at surewest.net
Sun Nov 2 10:49:37 PST 2003

Tatting is 19th Century.  A related way of making trim, knotting, was done
in the 18th Century, but I'm not certain exactly when it became
popular.  Knotting was used for trims (fly fringe is one of them),
especially fringes of various sorts. There are portraits of court ladies in
the 18th Century, including English queens, knotting (the knotting shuttle
is usually fairly large, filling the hand, and has both ends open, which is
how you can tell it from a tatting shuttle), which was considered a
graceful way of showing off the hands.