[HNW] crochet

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Sun Nov 2 22:23:09 PST 2003

>This reminded me That I've been wanting to ask if anyone has managed to
>document crochet before the late 1700s.  A while back I read that it was
>the earliest so far.

Is there a piece of actual crochet from before 1840?  Are there pictures,
and the thread path worked out, to prove it?  I'd love to see that
documentation, as I can't document crochet earlier than about 1840, and
nobody else I have ever talked to can either.

>I would love to reproduce some of the old lacis patterns but I have yet to
>figure out how to make the net. The modern net I've seen has round not
>square holes and is nylon so I don't think it would work.
>
>Many of them can be done in filet crochet (which I enjoy) but apparently
>it is just somewhat out of period.  Like nearly 200 years.  sigh
>
>Does anyone know anything different?

Yes.  Aparently you can get lacis net in cotton, with proper square holes.

Meanwhile, I think some knitted openwork is period for the SCA.  Not lace
doilies like my mother does, but definitely openwork patterns.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\