[HNW] Greetings and about Opus Anglicanum

Fletcher Martha mrfletcher21133 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 14:56:23 PDT 2003

Another great book is Textile Conservation and
Research by Mechtild Flury-Lemberg, published by
Abegg-Stiftung Bern, Switzerland, 1988 it is published
in Swiss and English. This book is a gold mine! This
has quite a bit on Opus Anglicanum but mostly what you
may already know.

Martel,
Barony of Bright Hill, Atlantia

t--- Allison263 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/2/03 11:19:47 AM,
> dreamer81465 at yahoo.com writes:
>
> << I have stopped putting the chain stitch in my
> work and I just use the
> reverse couching stitch and the split stitch.) >>
>
> Can you be more specific about "reverse couching
> stitch?" Are you referring
> to underside couching?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you're
> looking for regarding
> Opus Anglicanum. Do you need information regarding
> the types of stitches used,
> the designs, the time period in which it was most
> prominent? I can direct you
> to a number of books that have photos of Opus
> Angilcanium if that's what you
> need. The Staniland book, "Medieval Craftsmen:
> Embroiderers" is still in print
> and very useful.
>
> As far as the types of stitches used, my research
> has shown that chain
> stitches were sometimes used in the designs, along
> with split, satin, stem, and
> couching--specifically underside couching, which is
> the hallmark of Opus
> Anglicanum. There are written references to cross
> and plait stitch as well, although I
> have never seen examples of them myself. There is
> also some evidence of
> beadwork (pearling, mostly) in some examples of OA.
> I've been fortunate in that I've
> seen a number of examples of Opus Anglicanum in
> museums in London, France,
> and Italy, some of which have not been published in
> any books that I've seen.
>
> I don't know what online resources you have, but a
> few of the more splendid
> examples of OA include the Syon Cope, the Bologna
> Cope, the Ascoli Piceno Cope,
> and the Pienza Cope, all of which are shown in the
> Staniland book.
>
> Regards,
> Mistress Gabrielle

=====
It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting seashells than to be born a millionare-
Robert Lewis Stevenson