[HNW] Embroidering garments

Fletcher Martha mrfletcher21133 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 09:13:11 PDT 2003

  I agree, embroidery should, if possible, be done
before the garment is assembled with the cutting line
and sewing line of the pattern piece drawn on the
fabric. For example if you want to embroider a
contrasting key hole neck line treatment on a tunic,
draw out the neckline piece but do not cut it out,
stretch it, embroider it, then cut it out to sew on
the tunic. This will also help you to plot out just
how the pattern should be laid out on the fabric so
the pattern does not "over run" the edges or not match
up.

  Ideally the fabric should be stretched on a frame so
that the needlework will not distort the fabric and
thus distort the fit of the garment. You will be much
more satisfied with the results of your embroidery
this way.

Martel,
SCA, Barony of Bright Hills, Atlantia

--- Bjarne og Leif Drews <drewscph at post12.tele.dk>
wrote:
> Hi,
> The best way to make embroidery for garments is to
> embroider it before you
> cut. If you make some blackwork, i guess you dont
> have to stretch your
> fabric on a frame, but can sit with it in your
> hands. Is it for instance a
> cuff you are making, you could just cut a piece out
> wich is a little larger
> than the cuf + seamallowance.
> But if you are embroidering large things, as a
> stomacher for instance, and
> you are making stitches that can make the fabric
> crinckle, it is better to
> stretch the fabric on a frame, so that it keeps its
> smooth surface.
> This jacket i made, with embroidery on the front
> parts, was not cut until i
> had made all the embroidery.
> This is the way they originally made it like.
>
> Bjarne
>

> Leif og Bjarne Drews
> www.my-drewscostumes.dk
>
> http://home0.inet.tele.dk/drewscph/

=====
It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting seashells than to be born a millionare-
Robert Lewis Stevenson