[HNW] Embroidering garments

Rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Sun Oct 5 21:29:56 PDT 2003

<snip>
>   Ideally the fabric should be stretched on a frame so
> that the needlework will not distort the fabric and
> thus distort the fit of the garment. You will be much
> more satisfied with the results of your embroidery
> this way.
>
> Martel,
> SCA, Barony of Bright Hills, Atlantia

   I hate to be disagreeable, but - I disagree. Strongly. (Sorry about
that!)  In my experience with embroidering on clothing (and mind you, this
would be clothing meant for washer and dryer so that may make a difference),
I find that stretching the fabric while working a design almost inevitably
results in distortion after the fabric is washed and dried. I *never* use
any form of stretcher for my work. At this point, after about 9 years of
embroidering garb, I actually forgot where my stretcher bars and hoops were
and ran across them gathering dust a couple of weeks ago. I finally cleaned
them out of a drawer (kept my two favorite) and gave them away in a mad "get
rid of what you don't use" phase.
   Which, of course, means that there's no One True Way to do things... (If
it matters, I have been embroidering with DMC perl cotton #8 and $12, or
else with "Splendor" silk thread. I've rarely used wool or any other medium
since I distrust the long term effects of washing and drying).

Rosine
SCA too, Baroness of Marinus, Atlantia