[HNW] Cool book for 19th c embroidery

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Oct 6 18:36:55 PDT 2003

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking around in my favorite local
bookstore, and came upon a "Workbook of Embroidery Design" that I just
had to get, even though it's not a time period I spend much time with.
As the intro. states,
"The designs in this book are taken from two notebooks, dated 1858,
which were found in an old trunk in an attic.  The notebooks belonged to
Virginia Baskervill, who lived at Waverly Honor plantation...."
The book itself comprises over 200 pages of an amazing assortment of
designs (floral, initials, overall designs, "coronation cord"
embroidery, and lots and lots of other stuff) all intended for various
types of whitework and cutwork.  Plus a section in back giving
instructions on the basic stitches used.  A lot of it is distinctly
intended for use on clothing, too.  If I ever have the chance to do some
ante-bellum recreation, I'll know exactly what to use as a source for
embroidering my underthings! <g>
--Sue, doing a little happy dance....