[HNW] Abegg-Stiftung book - silk cloth - to stretch or not to stretch

ianruadh@zonnet.nl ianruadh at zonnet.nl
Wed Oct 8 08:39:52 PDT 2003

A few days ago one of the members of this list referred to:
Textile conservation and Research,
written by: Mechtild Flury-Lemberg
and published by the Abegg-Stiftung in 1988.
Unfortunately no refference was made to the ISBN number of this book.
Would you please be so kind as to share this number with the other members?
It makes the search in the library so much more easy.

I am aware of the fact that the following item doesn't fit into the general
topic of this e-mail list, yet I'm going to be so bold as to raise it.
As fashion changes so change the patterns woven into the cloth, which we
can obtain for our historic garments. In order to come close to the
original, medieval, thing, I am looking for damask silk with a pattern as
close as possible to those available on the north sea shores in the 13th
and 14th century. Is there sombody other who can give me a pointer?

Much has been said in the last few days on this list about stretching
fabric before starting an embroidery, or not stretching a fabric before
strating an embroidery.
In days of old when cloth was mounted on a farme before a larger piece of
embroidery was under taken, there must have been a certain amount of
tention on the cloth in order to keep it more or less flat. To my opinion
it all come down to the degree of tension which you put on the cloth. You
can make it so tight, that you will be able to beat retreat on the cloth in
your embroidery frame. You can also make it so slack that the cloth hangs
down in a dent like shape. One works better on the first anbd has a great
result, while an other swears by the second. Each his/her own. But still
interesting to follow the discussion and hear the different pionts of vieuw.

Johan Terlouw
herald, embroiderer