[HNW] Re:Byzantine

sheree krasley ladybrynn at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 11:24:35 PDT 2003

Pearls lots of pearls.........actually a good place to look are the mosaics found in Ravenna Italy. Look at the Basilica Di Saint Vitale and Saint Apollinare Nuovo. I found that the style and embellishement placements vary liitle up throught the 11th century.
David Talbot Rice has put out several books on Byzantine Art.
"Art of the Byzantine Era" ISBN 0-500-200004-1 had some nice pictures of the frescos and mosaics of the period. Few are overly detailed but you do get a good idea of general design and placement. Most are very heavily beaded with pearls and other stone beads.

The chapel next to the Doges place in Venice had some beautiful mosiacs of both men and women wearing byzantine styled clothing above the enterance doorways, Sorry the name of the church escapes me at the moment.

- Brynn Eilionoir