[HNW] Books by Joseph Braun

Chris Laning claning at igc.org
Mon Oct 20 14:40:03 PDT 2003

At 7:56 AM +0200 10/20/03, ianruadh at zonnet.nl wrote:
>Dear Chris,
>The books of the reverend Braun were published towards the end of the 19th
>and in the early years of the 20th century. Please keep in mind that the
>text processing tools which were available at that time didn't exceed pen
>and paper and if you were one of the lucky once you might have an early
>type writer. When you keep in mind that the books are rather extensive, and
>very well written, and containe a considerable number of drawing photo's,
>than his accomplishment is to be greatly admired.
>You speak about the books being written in the 1940s. Are you referring to
>a reprint?

No, I was just too lazy to go look up the actual dates <g>. Thanks
for the correction

Of course, his books are excellent in their coverage -- his book on
reliquaries (which is the one I've mainly used) seems to have a photo
of every reliquary in Europe that I've ever heard of. The only reason
I commented on the size and quality of the photos is that we in the
21st century are "spoiled" by having lots of books with bigger,
sharper photos (often in color), and so are likely to be disappointed
in Braun's photos if not forewarned. For their time, they were very
good, and in many cases they're the only photos we have of something
that is no longer in existence or that has never been published
elsewhere.

I also find German of that vintage difficult to read, but that's my
problem, not Braun's. My German is rudimentary, so I have to look up
all of the nouns and adjectives and most of the verbs, otherwise my
translations read, "And the [something] of the [something] is very
[something]." <wry grin>