[HNW] Re: Re: Books by Joseph Braun

ianruadh@zonnet.nl ianruadh at zonnet.nl
Wed Oct 22 08:35:40 PDT 2003

> >Dear Chris,
> >The books of the reverend Braun were published towards the end of the
> >19th and in the early years of the 20th century. Please keep in mind
> >that the text processing tools which were available at that time didn't
> >exceed pen and paper and if you were one of the lucky once you might
> >have an early type writer. When you keep in mind that the books are
> >rather extensive, and
> >very well written, and containe a considerable number of drawing photo's,
> >than his accomplishment is to be greatly admired.
> >You speak about the books being written in the 1940s. Are you referring
> >a reprint?
>
> No, I was just too lazy to go look up the actual dates <g>. Thanks
> for the correction
>
> Of course, his books are excellent in their coverage -- his book on
> reliquaries (which is the one I've mainly used) seems to have a photo
> of every reliquary in Europe that I've ever heard of. The only reason
> I commented on the size and quality of the photos is that we in the
> 21st century are "spoiled" by having lots of books with bigger,
> sharper photos (often in color), and so are likely to be disappointed
> in Braun's photos if not forewarned. For their time, they were very
> good, and in many cases they're the only photos we have of something
> that is no longer in existence or that has never been published
> elsewhere.
>
> I also find German of that vintage difficult to read, but that's my
> problem, not Braun's. My German is rudimentary, so I have to look up
> all of the nouns and adjectives and most of the verbs, otherwise my
> translations read, "And the [something] of the [something] is very
> [something]." <wry grin>

Dear Chris,

please be so kind as to share the information regarding te exact title of
this book and the date of its publication (and possible the name of the
publisher) with the members of this list. It would make it much easier for
those who are interested, me for instance, to find this book in the library.

When faced by the option of obtaining information on a topic with either a
technical or scientific background from a book either written in english or
german, than I will always opt for the english version of the book. In
german the autor nearly always uses a very complex form of the language. I
should add at this point that this language not as difficult for me as it
might be for others (non europeans). My parents took me on a summerholiday
every year. During a number of years we went to Germany, Austria and
Zwitserland. This gave me ample oppertunity to pickup the local language.
The fact that we have several german language channels on television makes
the situation even more easy.

Yours sincerely:

Johan Terlouw