[HNW] 16th century bobbin lace (slightly off topic)

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Wed Oct 22 18:33:01 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I seem to recall there are some bobbin lace afficionadoes on this list,
so I hope you won't mind the slightly off topic post.

Can anyone tell me where I might find information on the tools used by
16th century bobbin lace makers?  What kind of bobbins, what kind of
pillows, what were the pillows stuffed with, what did they use to make
their prickings, and so on.

The best I have currently found are a few mid 17th century Dutch
portraits, from which I'll extrapolate if necessary, but if there are
16th century sources around then I'd obviously prefer that.

(Yes, I have Le Pompe.  No, I don't have Levey's "Lace: A History".  Is
it worth the ILL when it comes to tools and techniques, or is it mostly
show-and-tell of different kinds of lace?)

Yours,

Kirrily