[HNW] 16th century bobbin lace (slightly off topic)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Oct 23 06:04:34 PDT 2003

Do you have Burkhard? Her book-thing, "Fascinating Bobbin Lace,"
includes a facsimile of the "first pattern collection written in German
by a woman and printed in Zurich in 1561."  (I say "book-thing" because
it's really two slender books and a "portfolio" of patterns, all 3
hard-bound, contained in a case.  You get the facsimile, a manual with
40 of the patterns made up, and a set of diagrams for the patterns in
the manual.  The facsimile actually notes how many bobbins you need
<g>.)
I seem to recall some discussion on Lace (a non-SCA list) that 16th c.
bobbins were more like continental bobbins than, say, Midlands, but
nothing beyond that.
Oh, and it occurs to me that ISTR that with needlelace, the patterns
could be drawn on parchment, so maybe they used something similar for
bobbin lace?
--Sue, who really loves early bobbin lace (now, if I could just find the
time....)