[HNW] Forepart

Susan Farmer sfarmer at sabre.goldsword.com
Mon Apr 5 16:44:36 PDT 2004

> > I think this one is even worse .....
> >
> > <http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/gower_MaryDenton48.jpg>
> >
> > You see just enough of the skirt -- What's with the black "overdress"
> > that doesn't meet in the front .....
> >
> > Jerusha
>
>    But it was awfully nice of her to hold up the hem of her gown and give a
> good graphic example of "hem decorations" on a late-period gown. Isn't that
> one of the costuming myths that need periodic debunking?

But surely that's not the hem is it?  There's not enough fabric between
her hand and her waist for it to be her hem.  Could it be the center
seam of a split-front skirt?

("They put stuff on
> the edge of their gowns. All the time." "No, they never did. Ever." "Yes
> they did." "No they didn't." "you're an idiot and I'm going to hit you with
> my PoF if you don't shut up." "Well, you've got a big nose and my PoF cost
> less than yours did...")

And "pink isn't period," "buttons aren't period," "wrist cuffs aren't
period," and (believe it or not) "salt isn't period."

Jerusha