[HNW] Re: elizabethan gowns

Deborah Fox richenda4760 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 21:45:39 PDT 2004

I think the black part is a late variation on a surcoat, or loosegown, that
has attached split sleeves,  and the main dress is the red part underneath
it.  I agree with previous statments that both dresses have closed fronts to
the skirts and no visible foreparts. Doesn't mean you can't have them, just
that the portraits don't.  It is possible that the white underskirt visible
under the second dress has a decorated part, but you can't tell from the
painting represented here.

Richenda back to lurking.