[HNW] Gold thread for Elizabeth Benns

Elizabeth Benns esb at macunlimited.net
Mon Apr 5 23:45:13 PDT 2004

Hello,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply; I was away from home.

Yes, it was Benton & Johnson.  We were using a non-authentic thread from them
and we asked about their full range and whether they made anything suitable
for us for anyone else (always worth asking!).  They didn't have anything
suitable off-the-shelf and weren't making ut for anyone else but they said
that if we ordered enough and knew exactly what we wanted they'd give it a
try.  We were quite specific about things like the type of silk and the
colour.  We discussed it with them and then I went to their factory and we
spent some time trying out some option relating to how tightly it was spun,
how many ends of silk to use etc.  I then came away with two sample reels and
some costings, we chose the one that suited us best and ordered.  It was some
time ago and I can't now remember how much we ordered or the exact price, but
it was less than £20 for 25g.  That was partly related to the fact that they
had enough yellow silk left over from a previous commission that they wanted
to use up - had the silk been bought in specially - either by us or them -
the cost would have been higher.  We ended up with a lovely thread, not too
lively and on 12 end yellow silk.  We use it for braiding, brocaded tablet
weaving and embroidery.

Benton & Johnson were very helpful and willing to spend quite a bit of time
with me in getting exactly what we wanted.

Regards,
Elizabeth.