[HNW] Yet another Definition needed

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Wed Apr 7 22:54:17 PDT 2004

Cordaunte?  and Counterpointe? (possibly what we call a counterpane?)

For a Bed in the Inventories of Henry VIII
Item 9772 Page 212

"...Quilts of linen cloth filled with wool, every one being of one breadth
3/4 and one naile [small unit of measure].  A pair of fustians either being
of 4 breadths 1/2 of the same fustian and in length 3 yards 1/4 scant and a
Counterpointe of purple changeable and yellow changeable tapheta paned
together quilted lozenged all over with a Cordaunte of silver and purple
silk bordered round about with an embroidery of yellow cloth of gold fringed
likewise round about with a narrow fringe of venice gold and silver lined
with white fustian being in breadth 3 yards scant and in length 3 yards
1/4."

Quilts are always mentioned as being stuffed with wool.  No mention of being
quilted though.  Makes me wonder if they weren't what we think of as tied
quilts today.  Something to keep the wool from all shifting to the edges
maybe?

Wanda Pease/Regina Romsey
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire