[HNW] Yet another Definition needed

LadyCellach@aol.com LadyCellach at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 11:50:27 PDT 2004

In a message dated 4/8/2004 1:52:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wandap at hevanet.com writes:

> Quilts are always mentioned as being stuffed with wool.  No mention of
> being
> quilted though.  Makes me wonder if they weren't what we think of as tied
> quilts today.  Something to keep the wool from all shifting to the edges
> maybe?

      In the late 16th century India had a quilting industry that was
successful until the 18th century.The quilts were highly desired and many were
imported to Europe. These quilts were made with cotton. There is an example of one
of these quilts currently housed in Hardwick Hall.
       In 1601 Bess of Hardwick recorded two of these Indian quilts there.
The first was listed in the Little Chamber as 'quilt of india stuffe imbrodered
with birdes and beastes.' The second was listed in the Wardrobe as 'of yellow
stuffe imbrodered with birds and beastes'. ( see Elizabethan Treasures The
hardwick Hall Textiles by Santina Levey pages 28-9)
      Upon analysis these quilts were found to be made of a thin layer of
cotton wadding sandwiched between layers of white cotton. "Stuffe" was a
catch-all phrase in the 16th century and in this case the "stuffe" refers to cotton.
      To hold everything together the quilts are intricately embroidered in
backstitch with colorful silk threads. The embroidery is close together in an
array of patterns.
      I did a sampler of one of these quilts and was surprised how sturdy
everything felt after I stitched the layers together.
     For more information on the history of quilts I have found this web page
to be very interesting.
Cellach
http://www.kateryndedevelyn.org/qultorvw.htm