[HNW] Re: Books on Ecclesiastical Embroidery (in German)and historical note

ianruadh@zonnet.nl ianruadh at zonnet.nl
Wed Dec 15 23:26:17 PST 2004

Dear Rachel,
   towards the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the last
century a number of books have been published written by a man called
Joseph Braun. He was, to the best of my knowledge, an offical in the church
(I assume Roman Catholic). Amongst the books published is one with
decoration patterns (suitable for embroidery?). I haven't been bale to see
this book as it is normally kept in specialized libraries. When consulting
this book keep in mind, that it has been written by a late 'Victorian'.
There taste doesn't always mirror owers when it comes to patterns and
material.
   While thinking about your question regarding church embroidery round the
reformation periode in England, I wonder which reformation you mean. Are
you talking about the changes which took place during the reign of Henry
VIII Tudor, or are you talking about the movement led by Oliver Cromwell.
Keep in mind that many church vestments were taken to pieces for the
content of there valuable materials, or sold abroad (the continent) when
Henry disolved the monestries. So when looking for vestments of this
periode in England, you might be more succesful when looking outside of
England.

Yours:

Johan Terlouw

> I'm looking for books on ecclesiastical embroidery in England both before
> and after the reformation and was wondering if anyone could recommend any
> good sources, journals as well would also be great.
>
> I have come accross the following book:Clothed in Majesty: European
> Ecclesiastical
> Textiles from the Detroit Institute of Arts by Peter Barnet.  Has anyone
> heard of it and is it any good?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rachel

Zon Gratis ADSL. De voordelen van gratis internet met de snelheid van
ADSL. Zonder abonnementskosten en zonder vast contract. Je betaalt
alleen voor de tijd online. Nu zonder aansluitkosten en met gratis
modem. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl.