[HNW] using ricepaper as a guide for embroidery

Bjarne og Leif Drews drewscph at post12.tele.dk
Mon Feb 9 13:49:14 PST 2004

Hi,
I just wanted to ask if any knows or have any experienses with using rice paper for embroidery.
I have some lovely ribbed silk in a blue collour wich i would like to make a waistcoat of. But i have tryed to transfer the pattern onto it, in my usual way by using tracing paper and pencil. But, the pencil wont show on the fabric, mostly because it is ribbed i think, but also because the colour is darker than other fabrics i have used.
So i heard that you could draw your pattern on rice paper and put it on top of the fabric and then stitch trough the paper and remove the paper when you have finished the embroidery. But i just wondered, is this really going to be all right when you stitch as closely as i do? (long and shortstitches for satin stitches)? Can the paper really carry so many stitches?
Any hints or tips are greatly apreciated, as this fabric really would be lovely lovely for embroidery!!!

Bjarne

www.my-drewscostumes.dk

http://home0.inet.tele.dk/drewscph/