[HNW] Eterna Silk opinions?

Laren laren at webcon.net.au
Mon Feb 9 14:15:19 PST 2004

At 06:48 AM 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>I have recently obtained some Eterna silk samples, and I'd like to solicit
>opinions from anyone on the list who has tried these.  I am very pleased
>with the look of them, but haven't had the opportunity to stitch.
>
>I have samples of the "stranded" (which is a flat filament silk), and the
>twist 5, 8 and 12.  I managed to forget to order a sample of the "mini
>twist" so any comment on that would also be welcome (i.e. how does it
>compare to the stranded, and/or to other silk on the market).
>
>I am starting to merchant in the SCA in a small way, and I am considering
>the Eterna as my silk line, but would love to have the input of the folks
>on this list before I make my decision "permanent."
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kandy Fling (Philadelphia area)
>(Elizabet Marshall in the SCA, East Kingdom)

Kandy,

I started using silks last year (I bought a kit that had Au Ver A Soie
D'Alger in it and was hooked). Since then, I have started using the Eterna
stranded almost exclusivily (I still use the Maderia silk for some things,
I find it is a bit more hardy and can take rougher treatment including
washing). I love the sheen and feel of the Eterna stranded. I've also got
the mini-twist and I would say if I was using that sort of thread, I might
go with the Au Ver a Soie instead). But I tend to use the flat silk as its
a more period thread.

I also like Eterna because they have really excellent customer service. I
can order from Australia and have it in about a week.

I've tried to use the Pipers silk but they really aren't set up for dealing
with people on a one to one basis. I had real problems getting my orders
sorted out and even getting emails answered. So from a practical
perspective, I would say that Eterna are the silks for me.

Cheers,
Jane