[HNW] using ricepaper as a guide for embroidery

Allison263@aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Mon Feb 9 14:33:52 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/9/04 4:49:58 PM, drewscph at post12.tele.dk writes:

<< But, the pencil wont show on the fabric, mostly because it is ribbed i
think, but also because the colour is darker than other fabrics i have used. >>

Have you tried the pounce and prick method? You can buy pouncing bags at
stores that carry quilting supplies (I've seen them at my local JoAnn superstore).
To use this method, draw the pattern on the paper, then prick small holes
around the outline of the design. Place the paper over the fabric and pat the
pouncing bag (which is filled with a chalky substance) over the pattern. The
chalk will go through the pricks and leave the outline of the design on your
fabric.

I've also used a white gel pen to mark a design on dark fabric. I needed to
draw out an applique pattern on black wool which had been washed and fulled,
and the gel pen worked like a champ.

Good luck!
Gabrielle