[HNW] Eterna Silk opinions?

lisleong@k12.hi.us lisleong at k12.hi.us
Mon Feb 9 17:01:00 PST 2004

> I am starting to merchant in the SCA in a small way, and I am
> considering the Eterna as my silk line, but would love to have the
> input of the folks on this list before I make my decision "permanent."

	I have mixed feelings about Eterna.  They have a
lovely range of colors and I generally like working
with their stranded floss.  However, I find that the
quality is very uneven.  Sometimes the filaments are
very soft, loose, and "flat," but at other times
they're very tightly twisted into an almost solid
core.  Not plied like the mini-twist, but so tightly
compacted together that there's no way you could do
something like split stitch with one strand.  No
matter what you do, you can't discern the individual
silk filaments.

	On the other hand, some batches are very nice.
The skeins I purchased several years ago are of a
better quality than the ones I've ordered recently.

	I've ordered 50+ of a single color and the range
in quality has been vast in a singl

e batch.  Many of
them have knots and breaks in the middle of a skein,
leaving undyed patches or loose trailing filament
bloops.  Also, skeins supposedly have 6(12) strands
but I have many skeins where there are only 4(8).  In
my last order it was especially a problem with the
color black.

	There is no local supplier where I live so all
the floss I've purchased has been via mail order.  If
you can look at the skeins individually before you
buy you could probably avoid many of the above
problems but if you're going to be the retailer I
don't know how that would be handled.  My dealings
with Peri at Eterna have been spotty at best.

	However, all that being said, I still use quite
a bit of it as it's inexpensive, reeled instead of
spun, and has a wonderful range of colors.

--annora