[HNW] 18th century quilted petticoat

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Sat Jan 17 21:46:39 PST 2004

I am about to start a mid-18th century quilted petticoat.  This is for a
group of privateers and associated women, so I'm using linen instead of
silk for the outside layer, and I'm keeping the quilting pattern
simple.  The middle layer will be Warm and Natural, a thin cotton batting
recommended to me as being good for showing off fancy quilting
stitching.  The inner layer will be a funky cotton gingham check of
approximately quarter inch squares, except where they're bigger, smaller,
or not square (I suspect it was woven in India).

How many stitches to the inch is the quilting on the originals, or do
individual examples vary?

Did 18th century petticoat quilters work from the outside or from the
lining side, or do individual examples vary?  Is it even known which side
they worked from?

How did they get the quilting patterns onto the fabric?  (If I work from
the back side, this will be easy using modern methods.)

Do I correctly assume that the quilting is done before the petticoat is
assembled, as with modern bed quilts and other quilted items?  It would
sure be easier that way.

How long should I make this garment?  I'm assuming about ankle length, and
about three yards around.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com