[HNW] 18th century quilted petticoat

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Sun Jan 18 23:56:02 PST 2004

>Carolyn, have you thought of using masking tape to mark the straight lines
>for your stitching? I've done it for quilts with tops too "busy" to mark
>in diagonal lines.  Heck, these days you can even get the stuff that
>doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.

Low-tack drafting tape would do nicely, as would really cheap masking tape,
which usually doesn't have enough stickum for most uses.  Good idea.  Thanx.

I did an 18th century hand quilted petticoat for a costume once, at about 4
stitches to the inch because all it had to do was look hand quilted.  The
'feathers' pattern can be freehanded once the base line for it is in, and
it's so typical of late 18th century whole-cloth bed quilts that it became
my first choice to do.  With this petticoat I filled in the upper part with
lozenges.  Right on the front I quilted in a coiled snake and the words
"don't tread on me" - the rest of the costume dress was camouflage print,
and I was an American Revolutionary.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com