stitch length (was RE: [HNW] 18th century quilted petticoat

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Mon Jan 19 00:15:42 PST 2004

>You might console yourself with the thought that these ladies had been
>hand sewing all their lives- 12 stitches to the inch was something they
>had to work up to as well. Maybe you can pass yours off as an
>"apprentice" piece?

I will try for 10 stitches per inch, and will call it good if I get
there.  Modern quilters have given me great advice for achieving tiny
stitches, and I will probably do my second pocket in quilting, as a
warm-up.  But as I said, I don't think anyone will be rude to me and point
out that my stitches are too big if they are consistently small and neat,
and cover the whole petticoat.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com