[HNW] 18th century quilted petticoat

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Mon Jan 19 18:47:30 PST 2004

>It really sounds like a beautiful petticoat and I look forward to your
>pictures as you progress!  What's unfortunate is that you can put so much
>blood (literally!!) and sweat into the handwork only for the "fashion
>police" to snub their noses at you because the stitch count per inch
>wasn't "correct".  To me, that's the worst thing that happens.  Believe
>me, I've had my share of occurances!  I had used a type of diaper cloth to
>make reproduction style hot pads with beautiful embroidery only to have
>two people end up telling "everyone" that the diamond shape of the diaper
>cloth was almost 1/8 too large. No one would buy them.  Ouch.

I heard a really great put-down to the authenticity police types:  Someone
was complaining that his American Revolution unit wasn't allowed to
participate because their lapels were half an inch the wrong width.  He
complained a lot, called them some names, and finally said "I've got an
authenticity test none of them can pass - how many of them have been
circumcised?"  So much for 'from the skin out' authenticity.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\