[HNW] 18th century quilting stitches

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Tue Jan 20 18:51:12 PST 2004

The first thing I am doing, for my quilted petticoat project, is a quilted
pocket.  That way I can practice my stitches and, if they're really too
big, the finished thing won't show.  I find that I can only manage one
stitch per inch if I leave the pocket in the quilting frame.  So I basted
around the edge of the shape of a pocket, and took it out of the hoop.

Oh, I usually sew with doubled thread.  I think the originals I am copying
are quilted with single thread, right?

Linen quilted skirt - there's a quilted linen dress, made from an old bed
quilt from the 1740s, in Fashion In Detail.  (It's that fine quilting that
looks like cording, that I am not willing to get into.)  Not a linen
petticoat, but quilted and linen and contemporary.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\