[HNW] Re: 19th cent yarns-modern equiv.

fastusminimus cahuff at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 21 15:12:00 PST 2004

At 12:00 PM -0600 1/21/04, h-needlework-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
>I think this topic comes up now and then on lists, but bear with me.
>I'm looking for contemporary equivalents *by brand name* for 19th century
>yarns:
>Saxony, Germantown, "knitting silk", "knitting cotton", Zephyr, Andalusian,
>etc.
>I know how to closely approximate the yarn by working with gauge to arrive
>at a general equivalent, but wonder if there is a list already worked out
>with current yarns.
>Robert.

And PLEASE if you have such modern yarns in hand, could you figure
yards/oz??? And or wraps per inch??? The knitting challenged would
greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Carol, just a minor whine <G>
--
Jan 7 1792: Farenheit's thermometer 23 degrees below.I rub silk gowns
with flannel to see the beautiful streams of fire which are emitted