[HNW] 18th century quilting stitches2

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Wed Jan 21 20:58:38 PST 2004

>Three words.
>PRACTICE!   PRACTICE! PRACTICE!

Funny - that's also how you get to Carnagie Hall ;)

>I'm up to seven stitches per inch in my quilting. The major difficulty is
>keeping them even....sometimes the back is really different from the front
>but I'm working on it.

That's why I decided to do a quilted pocket instead of jumping right into
the petticoat project.  I may need thinner batting, and may break down and
use some really thin wool instead of the Warm & Natural brand batting.  My
thinnest wool is about half of the thickness of that batting and denser,
both of which would certainly help get my quilting stitches a little
smaller.  My stitch count in seams is closer to 8 or 9, if the fabric is as
thin as good quilter's cotton (about the weight of a man's dress shirt).

Interestingly enough, I found a website for a group of commercial Menonite
quilters in someplace like Kentucky, who figure that 8 stitches to the
inch, for the whole-cloth quilts they sell, should be called "superior".

>Larkin - who would rather piece than quilt.

I'd rather quilt than piece, because my piecing skills aren't that great
(points don't match up, lines don't line up, etc.)  And I'd rather hand-sew
than quilt, I am finding.  But if I'm going to insist on being a snob then
I'd better go back and finish that pocket.  I may even need to do another
quilted project before doing the petticoat - maybe a nightcap.  Yes,
practice, practice, practice.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com