[HNW] 18th century quilting stitches2

Charlie Cain / Larkin O'Kane larkinokane at cox.net
Wed Jan 21 22:19:52 PST 2004

There is a book "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy that you might find
interesting. After eight chapters on 1. Fabric, 2. Batting, 3. Needles, 4.
Thread, 5. Thimbles, 6.Frames and Hoops, 7.Markers and 8.Other Helpful Aids
she comes to 9. The Quilting Stitch. This chapter starts with;
 "As you will find out, the quilting stitch is quite intricate, involving a
sequence of precise finger movements. For a lucky few, it takes just a few
minutes to learn. For others, it feels awkward and takes a few hours'
practice. But when you get it right it is like being hit by a thunderbolt.
Perfect stitches soon become second nature - nothing looks or feels better.
Nothing, that is, except the sheer joy of completing your own beautiful
handmade quilt. Hand quilting, when done properly, is relaxing, soothing,
and satisfying. There should be no pain in the arm, hand, or shoulder or
beneath your fingers. Once you master That Perfect Stitch, you will create
amazing works of art."  ibid p.67

Larkin