[HNW] 18th century quilting stitches2

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Wed Jan 21 22:52:11 PST 2004

>she comes to 9. The Quilting Stitch. This chapter starts with;
>  "As you will find out, the quilting stitch is quite intricate, involving a
>sequence of precise finger movements. For a lucky few, it takes just a few
>minutes to learn. For others, it feels awkward and takes a few hours'
>practice. But when you get it right it is like being hit by a thunderbolt.
>Perfect stitches soon become second nature - nothing looks or feels better.
>Nothing, that is, except the sheer joy of completing your own beautiful
>handmade quilt. Hand quilting, when done properly, is relaxing, soothing,
>and satisfying. There should be no pain in the arm, hand, or shoulder or
>beneath your fingers. Once you master That Perfect Stitch, you will create
>amazing works of art."  ibid p.67

The folks down at the Museum of Quilting and Related Textile Arts, in San
Jose, CA, showed me this little trick a few years ago when I thought I was
going to start quilting a lot.  The needle is held into the fabric sandwich
by the middle finger of the working hand, and it is rocked up and down thru
the fabric sandwich by up and down motions of this finger.  I know what to
do but I never quite got the hang of it.  I guess it's time to go down
there, with a hoop-full of cloth, and get another lesson.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\