[HNW] modern yarn equiavelents

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 22 11:41:13 PST 2004

Dear Robert  and List:

<I think this topic comes up now and then on lists, but bear with me. I'm
looking for contemporary equivalents *by brand name* for 19th century yarns:
Saxony, Germantown, "knitting silk", "knitting cotton", Zephyr, Andalusian,
etc..>

I don't think you are going to find exact modern matches because these yarns
stopped being  manufactured. Heck, even the 100% wool Red Heart yarn I grew
up with vanished.

Two Dover books mention modern equivalent weights:

four fold Germantown =  worsted weight
three or four fold Saxony = fingering weight  yarn
Andalusian  or Pomadour= sport weight
Saxony Single  Berlin = baby zephyr or baby pompadour (fingering weight)

Worsted weight is the easiest to find, cheaply, just about everywhere
(Walmart,craft stores, etc.) For sportweight  my only experience (since I
returned to knitting just over 2 years ago)  is with Lion Brand Wool Ease
Sportweight. Baby fingering canusually be found (plain or pompadour, which
means it has a slightly shiny rayon thread twisted with it) in Walmart and
chain stores. I've used Red Heart with good success.

If you visit various websites the yarns are often arranged by weight (or by
brand) you can cruise around there to see what takes your fancy. Yarn
catalogs (ilke Patternworks) also have yarn arranged by weight.

There are some people here who also (like me) belong to Historic Knit. I'm
sure they will have  much better advice.

--Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"