[HNW] wool cap refuses to felt

Laren laren at webcon.net.au
Mon Apr 11 20:51:47 PDT 2005

At 01:13 PM 12/04/2005, you wrote:
>I made a knitted cap to go with my Privateer costume (we're not pirates -
>we have our Letter of Marque...).  It's wool, and it should have felted
>when put into boiling water or into the hot dryer.  But all it does in
>water is release quantities of dye, and all it does in the dryer is to get
>dry.  Yes, I've tested it, and it's really wool.  Any advice?
>
>        CarolynKayta Barrows

Carolyn,

I am having a similar problem. I am making Viking hats out of old blankets.
I am hot washing, using pure soap flakes, double agitation, then cold
rinse, then hot tumble dry. While the fabric has softened up beautifully,
I've only managed a bit of felting. I noticed that adding extra soap and
more agitation helped alot. Might be worth a try.

Cheers,
Jane