[HNW] wool cap refuses to felt

Catherine Olanich Raymond cathy at thyrsus.com
Mon Apr 11 20:59:31 PDT 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 11:51 pm, Laren wrote:
[snip]
> Carolyn,
>
> I am having a similar problem. I am making Viking hats out of old blankets.
> I am hot washing, using pure soap flakes, double agitation, then cold
> rinse, then hot tumble dry. While the fabric has softened up beautifully,
> I've only managed a bit of felting. I noticed that adding extra soap and
> more agitation helped alot. Might be worth a try.

If you're using old blankets, maybe the question to ask is are you *sure*
they're 100% wool?  If they have acrylic or nylon in them, even a small
amount, that may be affecting the felting process.

Just a guess; I've never tried felting anything before.  :-)

--
Cathy Raymond <cathy at thyrsus.com>

"Some never live, but the crazy never die."--Hunter S. Thompson