[HNW] wool cap refuses to felt

Laren laren at webcon.net.au
Mon Apr 11 21:12:15 PDT 2005

At 01:59 PM 12/04/2005, you wrote:
>On Monday 11 April 2005 11:51 pm, Laren wrote:
>[snip]
> > Carolyn,
> >
> > I am having a similar problem. I am making Viking hats out of old blankets.
> > I am hot washing, using pure soap flakes, double agitation, then cold
> > rinse, then hot tumble dry. While the fabric has softened up beautifully,
> > I've only managed a bit of felting. I noticed that adding extra soap and
> > more agitation helped alot. Might be worth a try.
>
>If you're using old blankets, maybe the question to ask is are you *sure*
>they're 100% wool?  If they have acrylic or nylon in them, even a small
>amount, that may be affecting the felting process.
>
>Just a guess; I've never tried felting anything before.  :-)
>--
>Cathy Raymond <cathy at thyrsus.com>

Cathy,

I think they have some nylon content, but they did felt some, enough for
the edges to be stable, which was what I was after. But even when I've done
this with what I know are 100% wool blankets, I haven't got the level of
felting I was after. As I said, more soap and agitation seems to do
wonders. And the cold water in between the hot cycles.

Cheers,
Jane