[HNW] stitching knotwork

Genie Barrett maggie.gene at justinanimator.com
Tue Apr 12 12:16:19 PDT 2005

Susan Farmer stepped close to the microphone and whispered:

>When you're embtoidering knotwork (as a solid thing rather than just an
>outline like on some of Henry Tudor's garb -- do you stitch both of the
>sections (having 2 layers of embroidery where the pieces-parts cross, or do
>you only stitch the "top" section.
>
>Inquiring minds and all that ...

I usually just follow the line of the knot, and then skip the unders and go
over the overs.  Did that make sense?

I make a space for the parts that go under, and then when I come around
again, I just fill in the hole for the over part.

What stitch are you using?  That might also make a difference.  I used silk
stitch, but if I were using something like chain stitch, I'm not sure how
it would work.

Genie
Here's a few of my knots:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jazbees/album?.dir=e1fb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jazbees/my_photos

or go here and click on "Genie's costumes and embroidery":
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jazbees/my_photos