[HNW] wool cap refuses to felt

Lynn Carpenter alwen at i2k.com
Tue Apr 12 06:17:48 PDT 2005

A weaver's perspective:

First of all, wool varies greatly from breed to breed.  There can be huge
differences in wool properties:  crimp, fiber length, and, yes, tendency to
felt.  Or not felt.  So it is entirely possible that this is a type of wool
with low felting tendencies.  Another possibility is that the dye affected
the felting tendency.

Next, here is the list of things that tend to make wool felt (if it is a
wool that tends to felt, and also if it has not been treated so it won't
felt):

Temperature shock, in other words, from hot wash to cold rinse to hot dryer.

Alkalinity, usually in the form of soap.  ("Non-alkaline", on your shampoo
bottle, means "very slightly acid", because protein fibers like silk, wool,
and human hair fare poorly in alkalis.)

Agitation.  Rubbing, the old "waulking" bees (where new wool cloth was
dampened and literally "walked"), washing machines, and so on.

Hope this helps!

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com
"I'm not an expert, but I play one on Yahoo groups!"