[HNW] Re: stitching knotwork

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 12 14:30:26 PDT 2005

I have seen some lovely celtic knotwork done with couched pearl cotton: 4
side-by-side strands of the same color, using 2 darker and 2 lighter
strands.  They used a darker strand on each side, with the lighter two
strands in the middle.

If the pattern had more than one line, they would use a different color for
each.  Of course, this meant that the cross-overs had 2 layers of couched
thread.  It was both easy and quite attractive.

At 04:50 PM 4/12/05, you wrote:
>When you're embtoidering knotwork (as a solid thing rather than just an
>
>outline like on some of Henry Tudor's garb -- do you stitch both of the
>
>sections (having 2 layers of embroidery where the pieces-parts cross,
>or do
>you only stitch the "top" section.
>
>Inquiring minds and all that ...
>
>Susan
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>I've never seen anything on doing it one way or another but I have
>always stitched it in 1 layer.  I was usually doing split stitch, with a
>darker color in outline stitches on the edges of each band.  I would go
>right up to the edge of the over band, stop, then start on the other
>side.  I did the split stitch last to help smooth out this part.
>
>Others MMV of course.  Hope this helps.
>
>Catherine

Carllein

http://small-churl-books.com