[HNW] couching question

Allison263@aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Wed Apr 13 07:54:29 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/13/05 10:03:45 AM, sfarmer at utk.edu writes:

<< but what should I use to couch with?  I'd like

to try both underside and topside couching. >>

I'm not familiar with the type of gold you mentioned you're using. You want
something that is a metal wrapped around some kind of core. In the middle
ages/reaniassance, gold was beaten into thin sheets, cut into strips, and wrapped
around a core (silk, animal hair, cotton, linen). The gold should be stiff
enough to work with but (in the case of underside couching) supple enough to go
through the fabric.

I'd recommend silk thread as your couching thread. If you're creating designs
with the couching stitches, any commercial silk should be fine. You'll have
better luck with a filament silk (nontwisted) but a finely twisted 2 ply should
also work OK.

If you're simply going to couch the gold down, I like to use silk sewing
thread. When you do underside couching, be sure that the ground fabric is woven
loosely enough so that the gold will easily "pop" beneath the surface; if it's
too thick or too tightly woven you'll be fighting it all the way.

Good luck!
Gabrielle