[HNW] Re: H-needlework Digest, Vol 23, Issue 11

butler peter dreamer81465 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 10:30:27 PDT 2005

I have tried using the balger thread (Kruneik) as well and it just doesn't work properly. What Gabreil said is correct to the best of my knowledge. They not only used pulled gold (gold pulled out into threads) but thye also used wrapped gold. The porblem is that finding gold thread today is nearly impossible and the one or two places that I have actually found something close it stupidly expensive.
I myself like Opus Anglicanum and I am still trying to gather the proper supplies. I figure that if I do it once in my life with all of the proper supplies, then I will live in bliss and just pretend that the balger is proper. (At least I can lie to myself)
In OA they used silk to couch with. Anything that was not gold (ie metal because they also used silver and other metals) was silk. That is a good rule of thumb when you are trying to reacreate period embroideries.
(note there are exceptions like the Bayeux Tapestry which is done in wool)

Message: 2