[HNW] Gold for Couching

Fletcher Martha mrfletcher21133 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 13:27:05 PDT 2005

Thank you for the tips! I know I appreciate them very
much.

Martel
Bright Hills, Atlantia

--- Robin Berry <rlberry at coastside.net> wrote:
> For the gold to couch I use Benton and Johnson. With
> the web ordering,
> I have my stuff in about 10 days usually. If what
> you want is not on
> the website send them a fax or call. The ladies in
> the sales room are
> quite knowledgeable.
>
> I do the sewing portion with Au Ver Soie 100/3 -
> they have several
> colors of gold, silver and copper. They also have a
> nice red which is
> also very medieval to do patterned couching.
>
> For underside couching you can use the Au Ver Soie
> as well. You need a
> thread that will not be cut easily by the gold. The
> real key is the
> topside gold which needs to be thin enough to be
> able to be pulled
> through yet of good enough quality that it will not
> shred.
>
> Remember in all goldwork, bees wax is your friend.
>
> Benton and Johnson's also has a fine "sewing" weight
> gold thread. I
> love it and use it for hints of gold with blackwork
> or for sewing down
> spangles (of course red silk is also medieval).
>
> Hedgehog/Jodie is wonderful to work with as well. If
> she is more local,
> go to her by all means.
>
> Robin L. Berry/being Sabrina de la Bere, Guild
> Patron West Kingdom
> Needleworkers Guild in the SCA

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished."

Here's my Home Business-I finish craft and needlework kits you haven't time for-
http://www.darningegg.com/

Here's my SCA Website-
http://www.speakeasy.org/~mefletcher/LadyMartelleVonCharlottenburg.html

Visit my Diary! Yes it's true I have one too!-
http://www.livejournal.com/users/martelvonc/

LbNA - P0/F2/X0/HH1/FF0