[HNW] Extant Examples of German Embroidery

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Fri Apr 15 07:20:48 PDT 2005

><< The fabric is too
> >thin, the thread is too thick, and it looks pretty awful a >>
>
>What kind of fabric, and thread, are you using?

Which time?  The first time there was some nameless thin cotton, some #12
(?) perle cotton, and 7-count waste canvas.  The second time there was some
shirt-weight linen I got out of a bin someplace as several second-hand
scraps (maybe 35 threads per inch), the same perle cotton, and no waste
canvas.  But whether I counted the threads or not, I couldn't get the ends
of the individual stitches to line up.  This made what ought to have been
be straight lines be all zig-zaggy and irregular instead.

I have to admit I no longer feel confident that I know what I'm doing.  My
first piece of counted thread blackwork, done 20+ years ago, was counted
thread, and it still looks pretty good to me.  My counted thread work on
Aida cloth looks good to me.  But these two pieces (my second and third
attempts at blackwork), look embarrassingly bad.  I have to start this
project all over again, I no longer know what materials to use or how to do
neat work, and Faire opens the second weekend in July.

My costume approval person says I can't wear embroidered Aida cloth for
what we're doing, so that's out.  I really need to be wearing linen so I
don't faint in the heat, and attempt 3 was on some linen where at least I
could see the threads (something like 35-count, with stitches 4 threads
long).  I can't afford silk thread, and can barely afford perle cotton, but
I see that I'll have to buy more thread of some kind.  Once I figure out
how to get my stitches lined up, I don't want them so long that they look
sloppy and I don't want to hide the details by using thread that's too thick.

I'm like "Now what?".  As recently as a week ago I was under the impression
that I could embroider.  Now I'm not so sure.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com

              //// \\\