[HNW] learning blackwork

Terese Cascio terese5401 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 10:56:57 PDT 2005

There are some books available through the Nordic Needle in Fargo, ND USA  www.nordicneedle.com  which could help you. For the historical content I think Mary Gostelow's book "Blackwork" is good. For diagrams to help you learn how to do it there are several blackwork books by Ilse Altherr (sp) and nice packs by the Skinner Sisters. Good luck!

Maddalena

Jeannie H <kyrithia at hotmail.com> wrote:
Greetings!

All the blackwork discussion has gotten me interested in learning it. What
you all recommend a good book to learn from?

I'm obviously interested in ones with a more historical slant if there's a
choice (unlike the one I've got).

***I need something with actually how to work the blackwork, not just a
historical discussion (interesting, but not practical for learning). I'd
like something with some examples to practice. I've got a couple of books
but neither has good instructions. One has a few charts but not how to work
it. I'm reasonably decent at needlework in general but what's in my books
isn't enough.

I've seen the skinnersisters stuff and they had a couple books that looked
like they might do. What is your opinions on that? Or where else should I
look?

Thanks in advance,
Grainne Finneadan