[HNW] learning blackwork

Robin Berry rlberry at coastside.net
Fri Apr 15 11:28:57 PDT 2005

The best book to learn from is Marion Scoular's Why Call it Blackwork
- it has how to and patterns.

The Skinners Sisters have the best set of historic patterns out on the
market and currently available. Their website also has a wonderful
how-to tutorial.

Ilse Altherr is a wonderful needleworker but she is not always clear
for the very beginner.

There are a lot of other books out there - some with historic patterns,
but few identify the source of the patterns which is important for some
of the historic re-enactment groups.

On our guild website, URL below, we have an Annotated Booklist. Hope
this helps

In Service,

Sabrina de la Bere
Patron, Kingdom of the West Needleworkers Guild
Website: http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/