[HNW] Extant Examples of German Embroidery

Lynn Downward lynndownward at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:51:59 PDT 2005

Alex, thank you for saying that using regular sewing thread is possible.

For all the blackwork I've produced in the last ten years _that will
be worn and washed_  I use buttonhole thread. It has a sheen to it,
it's a bit thicker than regular sewing thread, and I know it won't
shrink or bleed in the hot water I use to wash the shirts, chemises
and napkins. I think it looks just fine. And I'm one who works at
accuracy as much as possible in the big things; small details like
hand sewing seams and using materials about which I have to baby so it
doesn't bleed/shrink like silk or rayon thread or something, I don't
sweat. If it looks good from 12 inches, I'm happy.

LynnD