[HNW] Extant Examples of German Embroidery

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 15 14:24:00 PDT 2005

This is partly avoidable, partly not.  It gets worse if you are using too
thick a thread.  It seems to me that it helps to start the left hand side
of each new stitch above the right-hand end of the previous stitch.  Being
consistent helps things to look less irregular.

It is also very hard to keep from pulling the threads cattywampus when
removing waste canvas, in my experience, unless you are using very big
thread and doing very long stitches.

Because perle cotton is soft, I would find it hard to work with.  I used
thin crochet thread when doing a large project, because it is stiffer.  If,
as you say, silk is too expensive, then regular sewing thread might be
easier for projects with small stitches.

>But whether I counted the threads or not, I couldn't get the ends of the
>individual stitches to line up.  This made what ought to have been be
>straight lines be all zig-zaggy and irregular instead.

Carllein

http://small-churl-books.com

e-mail:
<carol at small-churl-books.com>