[HNW] learning blackwork

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Fri Apr 15 16:41:31 PDT 2005

>All the blackwork discussion has gotten me interested in learning
>it.  What you all recommend a good book to learn from?
>
>I'm obviously interested in ones with a more historical slant if there's a
>choice (unlike the one I've got).
>
>***I need something with actually how to work the blackwork, not just a
>historical discussion (interesting, but not practical for learning).  I'd
>like something with some examples to practice.  I've got a couple of books
>but neither has good instructions.  One has a few charts but not how to
>work it.  I'm reasonably decent at needlework in general but what's in my
>books isn't enough.
>
>I've seen the skinnersisters stuff and they had a couple books that looked
>like they might do.  What is your opinions on that?  Or where else should
>I look?

My problem is that I didn't learn from a book or a teacher.  I got a book
of examples, got some thread and needles, got some fabric, and went for
it.  So it's trial and error on this end, and lots of little swatches to
test gauge, stitch length, etc.

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com