[HNW] icky blackwork

Carolyn Kayta Barrows kayta at frys.com
Sat Apr 16 01:27:24 PDT 2005

I'm back to feeling inept again.  The tatting cotton arches over the
surface of my linen in big flabby loops, and looks skimpy next to the
sample I did in #12 perle cotton.  Then I tried some #20 crochet cotton,
and aside from the fact that off-white was all I had, the stitching looks
unuseably bad here too.  The ends of the stitches don't match up even if
the threads are coming and going in the same holes, and what should be
straight lines aren't anything like straight or continuous.

I'm feeling really frustrated that I can't make this work, and I really
have no idea what to do next.

OK.  What count of linen and size of thread and needle should I be using to
make this work?  How many threads should I be counting for each
stitch?  Must I use an embroidery hoop or frame?  What's the trick for
using waste canvas, such that the stitches line up neatly when it is pulled
out?

        CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
          www.FunStuft.com