[HNW] Incorporating Into A "Thread"

Black Rose Spiritual Center drnikkiandrevjim at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 14:20:25 PDT 2005

Greetings.

What happened in London today was absolutely terrible!  I think all of us agree that those that have suffered this terrible incident are deserving of our prayers and/or compassionate thoughts.

To bring this to a "thread" for historic-needlework....

1.  Does anyone have links or knowledge of representations of natural disastors or catastrophies done in needlework?

2.  If you were to design something to represent your feelings of the tragedy, what would you do?

To get things rolling, I'll answer first...

1.  Depending on what side you are on, the Bayeux(sp?) Tapestry could be considered a catastrophy.  I know there's some great stuff out of the Hardwick Halls Textiles, but most representations I can remember seem to be of positive and uplifting tone.  In recent history I think the AIDS traveling Quilt would be another good example...

2. I really have no idea what I would do because I'm still attempting to grasp what happened today.  However, I keep getting a mental image of a northern light effect on black velvet starting with a dark red metallic outline of craggy mountains and the northern lights streaming over the mountains being a blue at the bottom and shimmering up through the blue/green to as light a soft green as possible. Mountains maybe in a chain stitch?  Northern lights in a staggered satin stitch.

3.  I do know that I will be doing something embroidery today...I'm mad at what happened and I've always found something Zen and emotionally satisfying when irritated to stab an inanimate object (field cloth) with a sharp pointy object (my needle)!!  :-)

So...what would you do?  :-)

Nikki

Dr. Nikki Judge Delaney
Black Rose Spiritual Center