[HNW] tragedy in needlework

Lynn Carpenter alwen at i2k.com
Sun Jul 10 12:33:40 PDT 2005

"Betty Pillsbury" <bpills at midtel.net> wrote:

>Don't know if you would consider this a disaster/tragedy, but there is a
>vintage crazy quilt that was made by women to "commemorate" a murder trial.
>They sat in the public section during the trial and stitched the crazy
>quilt, working names and such into it as they went.  Piecework Magazine did
>an article about it several years back.  I'm too lazy to go check which
>issue right now!

What a coincidence -- I have a total of 4 Piecework magazines, and I have
this one:
March/April 1996, page 30, "The Murder Quilt", by Gayle Neyman.  The quilt
was made in 1915, and its theme revolves around the murder trial of Anna
Booth and William Branson, who were sentenced to prison for the murder of
Billy Booth, Anna's husband and William's cousin.

Lynn Carpenter in SW Michigan, USA
alwen at i2k dot com